Adopting a new family member
Before you start: True Love Rescue is keen to help you find the perfect addition to your family. Please read the following informaton carefully so that you are aware of our adoption process, restrictions and timelines. The number of applications to adopt have increased exponentially in the past 6 months and we want to set your expectations ahead of time.
Before the you apply:
- Home & Yard
- Our dogs need an attached yard for easy outdoor access.
- The rescued dogs come from deplorable conditions and are often not house-broken. Not having a yard makes it frustrating all around.
- We do not adopt to families living in apartments/condos without an attached yard.
- Balconies do not qualify.
- Nearby parks, openspaces do not quality.
- Your yard must be securely fenced (at least 5').
- If you have a swimming pool, it needs to be fenced too.
- A fenced in kennel run is not an acceptable substitute
- An in-ground electronic fence is unacceptable.
- We do not typically adopt to families in rental properties. In our experience, when circumstances require the family to move, the dogs often are given up.
- However, we do recognize each situation is unique. We will review each application carefully and consider it at our discretion.
- If you are in a rental property, we require a copy of the rental agreement stating large dogs are permitted.
- We reserve the right to decline applicants based on our evaluation
- Safety is our top concern when placing a dog in your family.
- Often, we do not have much information on a rescued dog's history. Our evaluation of a dog's temperament is over a short time period and cannot to be considered comprehensive.
- For this reason, in most cases, we do not adopt to families with small children (under 5).
- Geographical locations for adoption
- The majority of our adoptions are made within our geographical area — Northern California; however, we do have adopters all along the West Coast as well as in Nevada and Arizona.
- After the dogs arrive in the United States traveling 20+ hours for 6700 miles,we do not fly them again.
- There are Goldens everywhere looking for loving families. Please refer to Other Rescue Organizations for a list of other Golden Retriever rescue groups.
- Form: Please fill out the form and provide as much information as possible. It will help us find the right dog for you.
- TLR Volunteer contact: After you submit your application, it will be forwarded to a volunteer in your area. They will then contact you to learn a bit more about you, tell you about TLR and also to set up a home visit.
- Timeline: Since we are a completely volunteer run organization, this could take up to a month depending on the volunteer's availability. Most of us have day jobs and dedicate our free time for the goldies. So, we ask for your patience!
- Home Visit: After a volunteer has contacted you, answered your questions and done a home visit, if your application is approved, you'll receive information on contacting the adoption coordinator.
- Selection: The adoption coordinator will have the most current information on the available dogs as well as information regarding their temperament, health etc. and will be able to match you with a suitable dog if they are available.
- Our website (www.trueloverescue.org) and Facebook page (Rescued Love from Taiwan) are updated regularly with available and upcoming dogs.
- If you are interested in one of the available dogs, you will have to proactively contact the coordinator to get current information.
- Our goal is to match the needs of the dog to the needs of the family. The adoption coordinator reserves the right to make the final call on a suitable match.
- For dogs 1 year or older, the adoption fee is $400.
- As of January 2019, the adoption fee for dogs 1 year - 4yrs will be $550
- As of January 2019, the adoption fee for dogs 5+ years will be $450
- For puppies (8wk - 1 yr), the adoption fee is $600.
- As of January 2019, the adoption fee for puppies (8wk-1yr) will be $650
- The adoption contract requires the family be responsible for the cost to spay/neuter a puppy at the discretion of their vet and provide TLR proof of spay/neuter.
Online adoption form
Please be sure to review the sections above titled Before you apply and Adoption Process to be aware of our requirements and restrictions on adoption. We do not fly our dogs out of state.